Tuesday, January 5, 2010

English Cut Shoulder Roast


This cut of beef is going to require a moist-heat cooking method (braising, steaming or poaching) in order to be edible. I picked up a number of these roasts at “Ghetto King” yesterday for around 5$ each at $1.70 a pound.

Tough cuts of meat should be cooked slowly, at low heats, for a long time, and with plenty of moisture. Prepared properly, these cuts can be incredibly tender and delicious. I typically make this roast again and again in my crockpot with carrots, celery, onions, and stock.

The first thing I do is sear it on all sides in rosemary infused olive oil. Then I lay it on top of a bed of those ready to eat Peter Rabbit carrots you can buy in bags at the market for about $1 each. Of course, you could just use regular carrots.

I add onion, a few garlic cloves, and celery tops along side and then cover with stock ~ I use chicken stock. I use chicken stock for everything regardless of whatever type of meat I am cooking. Chicken stock works well for me and I’m very comfortable with it. That being said, I make two types of chicken stock ~ light & dark. I use the dark chicken stock the most and in this case will use the dark.

There will be a 4 to 5 hour crocking time for this roast on high and about an hour before it becomes fork tender I will add cut peeled potatoes, turnips, parsnips, and a sachet of herbs that include rosemary, thyme, and bay leaves.

Today's plan -- watch braising video class and continue with top down kitchen cleaning and organization.


Here are a few good basic recipes:

Pot Roast -- Paula Deen

Basic Pot Roast