Friday, January 29, 2010

“Wauchula” version of a Shepherd’s Pie

You know when I was in college we would have what they called “Wauchula” parties where everyone would bring whatever liquor they could beg, borrow, and steal. We would dump it all into a huge pot and drink it. This resulted in some of the worst sickie hangovers I ever had in my life and eventually led to me giving up drinking altogether.

Well today, I made the “Wauchula” version of a Shepherd’s Pie. I brought everything I had left in my refrigerator out and a can of mixed veggies and this was the result.

This is what I had

½ pound ground beef
3 green onions, diced
6 huge closed cap mushrooms, sliced
¼ white wine
¼ stick of butter
4 all purpose potatoes
¾ C half n half
2 T flour
¼ Italian seasoned bread crumbs
Garlic rosemary seasoning
Salt
Pepper

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, spray a casserole dish with non stick cooking spray

Sauté ground beef until done, drain off grease and put in bottom of prepared baking dish

Sauté green onion and mushrooms in butter until tender. Add wine and reduce liquid by half. Add seasonings. I used garlic, rosemary, salt, and pepper.

Drain canned mixed veggies and dump on top of beef. Sprinkle with flour, Add mushroom mixture. Pour about ¼ C of the half n half over all.

Boil and mash potatoes using ½ cup of the half n half then spread over mushroom, veggie, beef mixture and dust with breadcrumbs.

Bake until bubble about 40 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment